Tuesday, January 16, 2007

We'll even throw in a year's supply of Turtle Wax!

Because I rocked the LSAT last year, I've received an inordinate amount of mail from law schools over the past few months. It's very similar to the materials many of us got before college, with one sweet exception: many schools throw in a waiver so the application is free. Even some top schools - Columbia, Duke, and Michigan spring to mind - have made this offer. It's a nice gesture, and if I were in different circumstances, I'd surely take up some of the schools on the offer.

However, last weekend, the University of Alabama decided to play the ULTIMATE TRUMP CARD. In addition to the fee waiver, they were also offering 25 FREE iTUNES DOWNLOADS!

I would be embarrassed if I worked for an institution that made such an offer. Putting aside its effectiveness (which I can't imagine is too high), it just seems so debasing to resort to these sorts of tactics. I understand what they're trying to do, but if they genuinely feel like they can't sell me on the school's qualities, they shouldn't contact me at all.

For what it's worth, I considered applying just for the downloads, but with the required recommendations and whatnot, I decided it wasn't worth it.

No comments: