Friday, January 5, 2007

It's My Life and I'll Do What I Want To

Color me disappointed with last night's Scrubs. It wasn't that Elliot's storyline was weak and humorless, or the Dr. Cox-as-House gag was woefully underutilized. It's the evolution of JD's relationship with Kim that has me bummed.

The assumptions currently underlying their relationship are all wrong. For some reason or other, which also happens to mesh perfectly with current political correctness, JD knows in his heart that it is Kim's and Kim's decision alone whether to take the new job in Washington or not. When he finally lashes out against this idea, the show makes clear that not only his action (the lashing out) but also the idea behind it is clearly wrong. If Kim wants to put her career above their relationship and thus above their child, then that is the right decision. JD, of course, ends up supporting Kim.

Am I being hopelessly naive, or is it common for couples having a child to not make common decisions or even really address the future in any meaningful way? From the way things have worked out so far, if Kim were to meet an absolutely wonderful guy out in Washington, I guess JD would have to support her decision to remain out there. Silliness.

No comments: