Thursday, February 22, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year . . .

I agree with Rico. Lent is powerful. And necessary. There isn't a better time to try to turn things around, and I'm pretty sure we all need to turn things around. That's kind of the point, after all.

The majority of my recent posts seem to be complaints, but I can't stop from making one more. I went to the 12:20 Ash Wednesday Mass at school. A couple of minutes before Mass, the priest asked everyone sitting in the two side aisles to move to one of the two middle aisles "to make the distribution of ashes easier." I guessed what was coming, and you, dear reader, probably do to. When the time came to receive the ashes, the priest said that there had been a change of policy. This year we would give each other ashes and that we should keep in mind the words "Remember that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return."

Instead of the solemn yearly procession I had participated since before I can remember, we fumbled around passing the ash containers and trying to figure out the best way of putting the ashes on each other. Even though I had seen it coming I didn't realize how mad I would be. That they played "We Rise Again from Ashes" didn't help. I mean, it has a nice tune, but if you only heard the tune you'd say it's a triumphant soft rock ballad. Not exactly what were looking for in Lent.

I'm normally a pretty easygoing guy. I just don't understand the change. This is an event that happens once a year replete with symbolism. Words matter. Actions matter. And they took away one and drastically altered the other. I guess I'll talk to or e-mail to the head of the Catholic Community here, but that's probably not going to make a difference.

Well, happy Lent, y'all.

No comments: