Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Angela!

I lected for the first time this past Sunday--a task I was not necessarily looking forward to, though I was willing to help the parish. I was nervous mainly because, for some odd reason, this particular parish somewhat combines the role of server and lector, e.g., a lector carries the cross in the procession. A cross-bearing lector also leads the congregation to receive communion (This parish receives communion starting with the rear pews). So, to sum up, I was not only a little nervous about reading in front of large number of people, something I hadn't done in a while, but also about fulfilling the other roles required of a lector. My plan was to lean on the on my fellow lector, as she probably had done this whole thing before. Unfortunately for moi, she decides not to show up, which left me not only fumbling through the Mass, but also having to practically site read a longish passage from Samuel. I managed to pull off the hard stuff (Ziph and Abizhai) but did misspeak once. I also noticed that I tend to swallow some of my endings. I'll have to work on that.

I shall have my revenge, Angela. In this life or the next.

No comments: