Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I've never been good at titles

If you're goint to compare us to two Simpsons characters teaming up in seemingly unstoppable fashion, only to be summarily stopped, I would have preferred this one. If I'm going down, it might as well be God who does the dirty work.

I've actually been a fan of Brownback for a while. He is a genuine statesman who acts out of deeply held personal beliefs with little regard for political calculations. He takes turns offending liberals and conservatives, Republicans and Democrats. Even if I don't agree with all his positions (and I don't), there's no question we need more people like him in the Senate.

Still, his newfound popishness is a cause for concern. Secret ceremonies, clandestine sponsors, the next thing you know, he'll be teaming up with giant albinos.

All that aside, statesmanship and principle are the reasons I'll stomach a dozen Russ Feingolds over one John Kerry every day of the week. While I disagree with Feingold on most issues, I appreciate the fact that he acts on his beliefs, not his ambitions. Plus, I can't imagine you'll ever see Feingold doing this.

No comments: