Friday, May 4, 2007

Really?

According to the CIA World Factbook, there are 26,790,222 women aged 15-64 in Germany.

According to The Economist, there are 400,000 registered prostitutes in Germany. Now I suppose some of these could be men and others could be senior citizens, but I would guess the cast majority are women aged 15-64.

So even if just 300,000 fit into this category (and I imagine it's higher), it means that 1.1% of all 15-64 German women are prostitutes.

I'm not sure whether that's proof of a culture and society in irreversible decline or proof of the coolest country ever. But I'm pretty confident it's one or the other.

(I decided to create a "random facts" label to go along with this post. I was going to create a "prostitution" label, but that would just encourage Big Jim to tell his story of a young boy coming of age on the merciless streets of Cleveland.)

No comments: