Monday, May 7, 2007

My cash grab sense is tingling!

Ultimately, that's what Spiderman 3 felt like: a flashy, larger-than-life, Summer-sequelly money grab. 148 million reasons later, it's safe to say it was successful.

Given how good the first two movies were, it was a little sad to watch the third. Generally, I ignore critics' reviews because I disagree with them, but this time, I think they got it right. The movie just tried to do too much. Too many villains, too many plot points, too much contrived drama.

The other thing that bothered me about the movie is that there were so many unforced errors: simple mistakes and plot holes that could have been easily avoided. I won't go into too much detail since some people haven't seen it yet, but for one example, what the hell happened to Peter Parker's Spider-Sense? He gets jumped unexpectedly at least three times in the movie. Ridiculous.

Having said all that, it was still an enjoyable summer action movie. The special effects were phenomenal; given that the movie cost $250+ million, I would hope they are good. The action scenes were fun as well. Still, my hopes were high that this would be the conclusion of a rare trilogy whose quality didn't decline in the third installment. For now, such a list would include Lord of the Rings and, uh, hmm... that's about it.

Next up on the 2007 Summer Cash Grab tour: Shrek the Third, which I will be avoiding if at all possible.

No comments: