Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Quick hits

This is my first post in almost three weeks, so I figured I should at least explain why. The short answer is that I'm working like crazy. In addition to my regular job, I've started working nights, teaching and tutoring students in preparation for the LSAT. Consequently, both my free time and my desire to blog have dropped.

My LSAT class run until June 9th, and Lauren's due date is June 17th. It seems weird that my baby's birth may actually lead to my schedule slowing down.

In other news, poor Brady Quinn. Not only did the guy drop to #22, he fell to the Browns! I think it might just be best if he hang up his cleats now. Sisyphus never had it so bad.

I've been doing some thinking about abortion, and the more I think about it, the harder I find it to justify. Unless one is a devoted atheist, doesn't it stand to reason that there is at least a chance that some form of humanity - defined as a soul, or human rights, or whatever - begins upon conception? If one believes in God, how can one rule out this possibility? And if this possibility can't be dismissed, how can one support abortion? I agree that individual rights generally shouldn't be abridged without a compelling reason, but it seems to me that even the slightest possibility of ending a human life is as compelling as it gets. (I'm aware this is a staple of intro to philosophy classes, including my own. But is there a coherent argument against this reasoning?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you whine about it?