Friday, July 18, 2008

Moving on up in the blogging world

At the risk of shedding part of my anonymity once again, I'd like to note that a question of mine made it into ESPN's Live Blog of the British Open:
4:56 p.m.: E-mail from Ryan in Milwaukee:

There's a good chance none of the "Big Four" will play on Saturday and Sunday. When was the last major with no Tiger, Phil, Ernie, or Vijay on the weekend?

Believe it or not, that's actually a pretty easy one to look up. It was the 1992 U.S. Open, when Tom Kite won at Pebble Beach. (Mickelson missed the cut; Woods, Singh and Els failed to qualify.) That's 64 straight majors in which at least one of those four made the cut.
I'm going to have to avert my eyes when I see the "What have you done to increase the share price today?" sign this afternoon.

No comments: