Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Rectifying Iniquities

During my blog sabbatical, Jim had the audacity to call me out on my musical choices. (Look three posts down for more details.) By way of response, let me just say that there's a reason the songs I chose are less obscure than his.

Now I'm no populist, and the Good Lord knows that there is plenty of bad yet popular music. However, when it comes to music with a long shelf life, the cream generally rises to the top. Indeed, that's the case with the songs I chose: after 12+ years, these are songs that people want to hear over and over again.

Another point to make: I wasn't trying to choose the objectively "best" songs, but rather the songs I would most like to listen to listen to on a road trip. I enjoy "Dead Flowers" well enough, but it can't possibly compare to the opening minute of "Gimme Shelter," which lures me in with its seductive "ooh-ing" and gets my heart racing without any words. That's what I was looking for, and that's why my list is infinitely preferable.

No comments: