Saturday, July 7, 2007

Speaking of Lieberman

I wonder what kind of turnover he's had on his staff, if any.

As a former Senate intern (and yes, I mean that to be as snooty and condescending as it sounds), I've seen up close and personal the kind of people who work for Senators and Congressmen. As a general rule, they're pretty hard core partisans.

I worked for Harry Reid (current Majority Leader, then Minority Whip) in the fall of 2003. Naturally, everyone assumed I was a Democrat. One day I was discussing the 2004 Dem presidential field with one of the full-time staffers. He asked me who I supported, to which I responded "Lieberman." In my mind, he was the least of about 10 evils.

The staffer was obviously unhappy with that response and barely made an effort to hide her contempt for Joe. She described him as Bush-Lite, which is about the worst insult you can hurl in a Democratic office.

That was almost four years ago. Since then, Lieberman has completely abandoned his party on the defining issue of the day, gained reelection as an Independent, and been one of the staunchest allies of one of the most unpopular presidents in modern times. I just wonder how much his staff has changed in the last five years as a result of all that.

No comments: